Our Towns

“Our Towns” the communities in the greater Boston area where we have helped home owners with repairs, re-roofing, siding, and remodeling projects. It has been our privilege to serve these and other communities in Eastern Massachusetts for over 35 years! Each of Our Towns has made a unique contribution to the history of New England, we are proud to share a few highlights with you.

 

Arlington, MA

Founded over 350 years ago, Arlington remains proud of its history, even as it has grown into a thoroughly modern community. The birthplace of Uncle Sam, the location of the first public children’s library, and the site of most of the fighting when the British marched through it returning from the Old North Bridge at the start of the Revolutionary War, Arlington has preserved many of its historical buildings and even recreated its town common. Once a thriving agriculture and mill town, Arlington’s excellent access to metropolitan Boston has made it a very desirable place to live. The Town of Arlington was originally settled in 1635 as a village under the name Menotomy. In 1807, the Town and a section of what is now Belmont were set off from Cambridge and incorporated as West Cambridge. In 1867, the name was changed to Arlington in honor of the heroes buried at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va.

 

 

Lexington, MA

The town famous for being the site of the first shot of the American Revolution, in the Battle of Lexington on April 19, 1775. where one of the “shots heard ‘round the world” for liberty and self government was fired that day. Munroe Tavern (circa 1690) More than 300 years old, this former tavern served as a temporary headquarters and field hospital for British Brigadier General Earl Percy and his 1,000 reinforcements on the afternoon of April 19, 1775. Fourteen years later, President Washington dined at the tavern when he visited the Lexington battlefield in 1789. The tavern contains artifacts from his visit and many articles used by the Munroe family when they ran the tavern from 1770 to 1827.

 

 

Concord, MA

Meriam’s Corner is the site of a skirmish between Minutemen and retreating British troops on April 19, 1775. (Lexington Rd at Old Bedford Rd). Major point of interest is the Minute Man National Historical Park, including Old North Bridge.  

 Concord Home to Emerson’s House (photo circa 1900), signifying agreement and harmony, was incorporated as the first inland settlement in Massachusetts through a grant from the Massachusetts General Court dated September 12, 1635. As the scene of the first battle of the American Revolutionary War (War for Independence) on April 19, 1775, it is considered the birthplace of the nation, where the “shot heard ‘round the world” for liberty and self government was fired. Concord, is also the location of the Orchard House, where Little Women (1868), Louisa May Alcott’s best known and most popular work, was written

You can read more about this here

Newton, MA, The Garden City

Newton has earned its name — The Garden City. Newton is an urban forest with a broad and diverse population of trees, plants, and flower gardens touching many lives. Early in the history of the city trees were planted, valued and cared by the local government. In addition, the “Garden City” also has many historic teasures, including the Jackson Homestead.

The Jackson family can trace its descendents back to two brothers who were among the first settlers in the area south of the Charles River: John and Edward, who in 1670 bought a 500-acre farm covering what is today Newton Corner and Newtonville. The Jackson Homestead began with Edward’s gift of a house and 150 acres to his son Sebas. This homestead was where the family lived and worked for 10 generations. We have had the pleasure of helping many Newton residents resolve roofing problems and completing remodeling prjects.

 

Woburn, MA

Woburn was settled in 1640 by pilgrims from the Massachusetts Bay Company who developed additional settlements near Salem and Boston. Woburn was incorporated as a distinct township in 1642, making it one of the oldest and most historic communities in New England. For the next several decades, no more pilgrims came to Massachusetts and the population grew solely by natural reproduction.

1790, Woburn had a population of 1,727. Following construction of the Middlesex Canal in 1803, Woburn’s economy shifted from one dominated by agriculture to one dominated by industry. Homes in Woburn are typically nicely kept, comfortable inside, and usually don’t strain your wallet, which can be a positive attribute in a slow economy.

 

 

Waltham, MA City of Mansions

Waltham is blessed with a number of mansions, among the well know Gore Place an early 1800s estate of Massachusetts Governor Christopher Gore. This 45-acre estate hosted President James Monroe, Daniel Webster, and the Marquis de Lafayette and offers 22 elegantly-furnished rooms with an oval parlor and spiral staircase.

Vale Lyman Estate was built in 1793 by wealthy Boston merchant Theodore Lyman. The house and its 30-acre English-style gardens are a year-round delight. Greenhouses include the Grape House, built in 1804 to raise exotic fruits, the Camellia House, built in 1820, and a structure from the 1930s. In addition, Stonehurst, Robert Treat Paine’s house is the country home of housing reformer Robert Treat Paine and his family (1883-1886). It is the crowning achievement in the career-long collaboration of architect Henry Hobson Richardson and landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted. Described as the “pinnacle achievement of Shingle Style architects and craftsmen,” its open floor plan and multi-functional living areas inspired 20th-century architecture.

 

Somerville, MA

Somerville, first settled in 1630, was part of Charlestown. It was known as “Charlestown beyond the Neck” because it was part of the mainland, not the Charlestown Peninsula. Somerville was officially incorporation in 1842 and separated the rural community from Charlestown, which was quickly urbanizing. Originally, the city’s new name was to be Walford, the first settler of Charlestown. However, Mr. Charles Miller, a member of the separation committee, proposed the name “Somerville” which was adopted; a report commissioned by the Somerville Historical Society found that Somerville was a “purely fanciful name” A unique structure in Somerville is the Round House built in 1856 by inventor and manufacturer, Enoch Robinson. Robinson owned a Boston company that manufactured high-end decorative hardware, window fasteners, knobs, hand-made lock mechanisms, and door handles. Robinson was annoyed when local builders copied a previous house he built, so he brought in a specialized team from France to build a unique structure. When they were finished, he sent them back immediately. The design of his round house was based on that of the Column House in the French “folly garden” of Desert de Retz in Chambourcy.

 

Belmont, MA

Belmont has an interesting railroad history. One of the note-worth sites in Belmont is the Belmont Center Station on Royal Rd, which is now the Belmont Lions Club. As those living in Belmont know, the current MBTA stops near Belmont Center Station are both within walking distance (2-3 minutes); one at Leonard St and Moore St (397 ft) and a second at Concord Ave and Leonard St (250 ft). Belmont Center Station now the Belmont Lions Club Waverley Station, home of the Fitchburg/South Acton Line, is a passenger rail station on MBTA Commuter Rail. The station is located below the triangle of Trapelo Road, Lexington Street, and Church Street in Belmont, Massachusetts. In addition, there was a Wellington Hill Railroad Station, circa 1840, located across the street from the current MBTA stop at Belmont Center. The Railroads helped to transform an agricultural community into a residential area for well-healed Boston residents. Homes were typically built around Wellington Station (now Belmont Center), Waverley Station, and Hill’s crossing station. As the settlements developed into small villages, citizens living in these areas grew increasing unhappy with the local government arrangements which required them to go to Watertown, Waltham, or West Cambridge (now Arlington) to vote and to take part in town meetings. A sizeable group, for the time, of roughly 900 to 1,000 people joined forces in circa 1850 and proclaimed their intention to form a separate community. Perhaps the most enthusiastic advocate was John Perkins Cushing, who was also a large if not the largest taxpayer of the proposed town. He made generous and open contributions to fund the incorporation. However, he had one condition that the town be named after his 200 acre estate “Bellmont.” You know the outcome. Although the towns of Watertown, Waltham, and West Cambridge fought the creation of Belmont, the battle lead by Cushing and others was won and on March 18, 1859, the Town of Belmont was established.

 


Jim Doucet Roofing and Remodeling Ltd
781-608-4816
Serving Wolbrun
and surrounding area

Web Site Design and Hosting by Tellox Professional Web Services